Springtime! Whether it’s a business or a home, it’s the time of year we love to “clean house” and make sure everything is in order. It’s the same with plumbing. So, we have provided a convenient checklist for you to make sure your plumbing is in good working order like everything else.
- Water Heater. Check your water heater tank’s manual to flush it to remove accumulated sediment. Check the temperature to make sure not higher than 120 degrees to prevent scalding.
- Dishwasher. Clean the drain of your dishwasher and remove anything blocking it.
- Hoses. Check the hoses of the dishwasher, wash machine and ice maker for leaks.
- Faucets. Check all exposed pipes and faucets for leaks, including inside the cabinets.
- Toilets. Check toilets for cracks and leaks. Check the toilet handle; if it requires maneuvering to flush, parts may need to be changed.
- Sump Pump. Dump a bucket of water into the sump pump to make sure it is removing water properly.
- Faucets. Inspect outdoor faucets for leaks.
- Hoses. Check garden hoses for cracks or tears.
- Sprinkler System. Flush the sprinkler system and then look for leaks in the heads or lines.
- Patio Drains. Clean the drains and ensure water flows properly.
- Gutters. Clean all gutters and downspouts of debris and check for damage.
- Plumbing Vent Pipes. Check for animal nests near or in plumbing vent pipes.
Tips to Assist with Your Plumbing Checklist
Here are a few tips to help you fulfill this checklist.
- At night, just before you go to sleep, check your water meter and then check it in the morning: if the reading is different, you may have a leak.
- Make sure all drains have filters or strainers to keep hair and other material from clogging pipes.
- Install a backflow valve in floor drains to prevent sewage backups.
- Install flood alarms, something akin to fire alarms, to warn you of potential leaks or flooding.
- If an outdoor faucet is dripping or if after it was initially turned on and there’s leakage in or outside the home, it may indicate a crack in an unexposed pipe.